Friday, June 12, 2009

how soon we forget

So I have a "friend" on face book who is a middle school teacher in the Boston Public Schools. Today she went off on a particular rant about be screwed over by the school she works for by getting stuck teaching middle school English again next year when she wants to teach high school.

The complaint in and of it self is not a bad one however what the conversation turned into was an all out bitch fest about the kids she teaches. She refers to them as monsters and comments on how stupid they are. Her and some of her other face book friends comment on how frightening it is that these children are our future. It bothers me that a teacher would openly bash there much younger students on a social networking site, it is both cruel and stupid on her part. If any one from the school saw that I am sure ( or at least I hope some action would be taken) I know if I was a parent and heard about that I would not want her teaching my child. Ialso feel like her selective memory may be working over time.

This woman and I grew up in the same neighborhood , we are the same age and we knew most of the same people. Most of those people were monsters, I remember in 7th grade she was chased through the streets of our neighborhood by a group of 12 and 13 year old boys and girls who encouraged her to kill her self and then beat her up all because she liked the same boy that a more popular girl liked. This boy she was beat up over failed the 8th grade 3 times before he decided school wasn't for him.

I guess the point I am trying to make is our generation was not any better than the kids she is teaching now and I don't know how she can forget that. If she is really that miserable teaching kids who are unruly and don't want to learn or even try to learn maybe she should teach in a privet school. Maybe if she has such a strong dislike for the kids she is teaching she shouldn't be teaching at all. Maybe she should be happy she has a job as an english teacher because they aren't really i demand it's Math and Science that are desperate for teachers. I don't know just a thought.

No comments: